menu

Thursday, August 7, 2014

My "It's Super Humid But I Still Want My Face Makeup To Look Good and Stay Put" Routine

That title is quite a mouthful, isn't it? Well, I know I've pretty much disappeared for almost two weeks, but I'm back now! My life has definitely been very stressful, and in less than one week, I'll be road tripping across the United States to North Carolina for school. Of course, I have a little bit of time off so I'm trying to queue up some posts for you all so I don't completely disappear for another few weeks while I settle in for school.

Anyways, enough with the excuses! Currently in San Diego, the weather has been awful. My parents say that it's the East Coast humidity welcoming me a few weeks early. But the humidity for about a month now has been settling at around 75%-80%, and in the hot California desert, I'm definitely not used to it. My skin has been absolutely freaking out, makeup seems to always be melting off of it, and I have still had to go out and look my best even when my skin was feeling horrible. I hope that these past few weeks have helped me master dealing with the humidity, because I know that when I move, I'll have to deal with it even more. I thought that, with all this weird weather, it would be the perfect time to tell you all how I've been doing my face makeup to ensure that it lasts all day and stays exactly where I placed it in the morning.



First thing's first, I have to prime. The Rimmel Stay Matte Primer was a recommendation from my friend Ciarlene, and it has made all the difference. While this primer does contain dimethicone, I can hardly tell. It doesn't have the super slick, silicone feel that a lot of primers have. It goes on smoothly, and when you first apply it, you can't really tell that big of a difference, but after a few hours, you can really tell that it truly helps to keep you matte!

From here, I apply my bareMinerals bareSkin Serum Foundation using a damp Beauty Blender. A lot of people have said they don't like the way that the bareSkin foundation applies with a Beauty Blender, however I find that it works just fine and prevents me from applying too much foundation. The bareSkin foundation is also fantastic for summer because it feels incredibly lightweight while still giving good coverage.

Since I have been very busy, I often look very tired. For quite some time, I was really enjoying the Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer, but recently, it's become far too dewy for my skin, and I've been reaching for my Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer probably nine times out of ten. I also find that this concealer isn't so brightening to the point where you can't use it on blemishes, so I often reach for this for blemishes and discoloration as well.



In order to ensure that my blush and contour really last, I always apply both a cream and a powder. For my blush, I am still reaching for the NYX Rouge Cream Blush in "Natural," and I use my fingers to really work the product into my skin. To set the blush, I use the Milani Baked Blush in "Luminoso," which not only complements the cream blush I used prior, but will help it last longer while adding a bit of a glow to my cheeks.

I love contouring, and most days I prefer to look well-contoured as opposed to looking tan. With a Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, I take my Sonia Kashuk Undetectable Cream Bronzer and contour my face. The Expert Face Brush is just the right size and shape to really get under your cheekbones, and the dense synthetic fibers are perfect for creating a more natural look. To set and define the cream bronzer even more, I use the color "Fawn" from the Anastasia Contour Kit.


Of course, no long-wearing makeup look is complete without a setting powder and setting spray. I have used the Revlon Photo Ready Translucent Finisher for years, and for me it's just the perfect pore-blurring powder! On really humid days, I tend to use a pretty heavy hand with this powder, since the setting spray will help to get rid of any kind of powdery or cakey appearance. As a setting spray, I use the Model in a Bottle Sensitive Skin Formula. This is a setting spray that I use on actors sometimes, and let me tell you, it holds up incredibly well. I also love the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray, and it is more readily available to the public.

Again, I apologize for being gone for what feels like forever! I feel like I've been in a bit of a blogging rut recently, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with just how crazy life has gotten. I hope to get more posts out soon though, so keep an eye out!

- D. 

5 comments:

  1. The bare minerals foundation sounds lovely! Love the nyx blush shade too!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nowhere near summer here yet, but I'm going to keep this bookmarked where I can see it. We can get some pretty wicked humidity here in the summertime, so I've started paying attention to the makeup people are using so I'll know what to do by the time it rolls around! I'll have to give a few of these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle, in your opinion, which would be preferable ---going with the primer or with the photoready finisher? It's so hot here that a full face with primer, foundation, and everything is just impossible for me, so I was wondering if I could leave a step out.

    Another Beautiful Thing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would probably go with the primer! Especially if you are going to use a setting spray, which honestly is my must have for hot days because it feels so refreshing but keeps everything in place! And it doesn't feel like anything. If you tend to get shiny even with a mattifying primer, I would stop by your local drugstore and pick up some blotting sheets. they're pretty cheap and help get rid of shine without ruining your makeup!

      Delete
  4. nice choices! i definitely have this problem in the summer!

    xx fameliquorlove // bloglovin // instagram

    ReplyDelete