menu

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Halloween -- Last Minute, Budget-Friendly Glam Cat!

I know that the title of this post sounds ridiculous. However, I know a lot of girls want to look cute for Halloween, so I came up with this look that I think would be great for parties! My favorite part about this look is the ears, because you don't have to go out and purchase cat ears, which makes it perfect for a super last minute costume. Throw on some black clothes, this hair and makeup, and no one will question what your costume is!


Let's start with the hair! About a year ago, I was working at Sephora, and I saw a girl walk in with her hair styled into cat ears. While I was brainstorming for some Halloween looks, I remembered her, and decided I would show you guys just how quick and easy it is!


The first thing I did was part my hair down the center. You can do this however you like, but I left my bangs parted as they were (because I promise you don't want to see my hair in a center part...it isn't cute). From the root of my part, I took a small section and spritzed some hairspray through the hair to add some grip. Then, I began to braid! Make sure the braid is tight, otherwise it won't hold its shape. Then, I pinned the end of the braid about 2 to 3 inches below where it began, to create a little cat ear! I added more hairspray, and pinched the braid to create a point. Repeat on the other side, and you have super quick DIY cat ears! To finish it off, I pinned my bangs to the side and curled my hair, teasing to add some volume and a wild-like appearance.


The makeup itself is glamorous, but pretty simple. I started with the eyes, priming my lid with the Lorac Behind the Scenes Eyeshadow Primer. I took some ordinary scotch tape and pressed it on the back of my hand to remove some of the stickiness, and placed it under my eye at an angle to ensure a crisp, clean line. I took my Lorac Pro Palette 2 and used the color "Black" all over my lid, pulling it out to create a cat-eye effect. I then took a mix of "Cool Gray" and "Light Brown" and used these two shades to really blend out the edges of the black shadow. Luckily, these shadows blend together beautifully, making my job so much easier! 

From here, I carefully pulled off the tape, and smudged "Black" along the lower lash line, really blowing the color out. I then applied "Liquid Gold" pigment from Makeup Geek on the center of the lid. I used "Beige" on my brow bone as well as the inner corner, to brighten everything up, as well as NYX Liquid Crystal Liner in "Crystal Gold" along the inner corner of the lower lash line. To finish off the eyes, I lined my waterline with Milani Liquid Eye Liner Pencil in "Black." To further enhance the cat-eye effect, I applied Andrea 53 Lashes.


For my foundation, I just did my normal routine, as well as for my eyebrows. I also covered my lips with my foundation, to get rid of some of the color and provide a base for the nose! For the nose, first took a mix of "Cool Gray" and "Light Brown" from the Lorac Pro Palette 2 and heavily contoured my nose, from the eyebrows to the tip of my nose. I made sure to keep the contour pretty dramatic. Then, I took my Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner in "Blackest Black" with my Real Techniques Silicone Liner Brush and drew a heart shape on the end of my nose, making sure to fill in the nostrils as well. It feels pretty weird, but it only takes a minute. Then, from the septum of my nose, I drew a triangle shape down through my cupid's bow, to create the little cheek pads that cats have! To further enhance the shape of the cheeks, I again took "Cool Gray" and "Light Brown" and contoured my cheekbones, going all the way in to the corner of my mouth. Finally, I just drew some dots above my upper lip, and added some whiskers!

From here, I threw on a cute black dress and a leopard print scarf to really pull the look together, and you are party-ready!

Keep an eye out for more of my Halloween looks, I have a few easy looks prepped that will hopefully give you some inspiration if you have yet to find a costume and don't have much time to find one!

- D.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh, I love this look! I might practice it on my little cousin just for fun when she comes to stay over during the holidays, she'd love it! Well done on those braids, I don't think I have the skill to pull those off. My hands are about as graceful as the Hulk's.

    ReplyDelete