menu

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Top 5 Tips for Managing Dry Skin This Winter!

Here in sunny California, I don't feel the effects of the winter as harshly as many people do. However, I have had my share of white Christmases, and I know that dry skin can be a battle! Not only do I normally have dry-combination skin, but I also have a skin condition called psoriasis, which only gets worse in the cold weather. Here are my top 5 tips for managing dry skin!
5. Moisturize.
While using lotion may seem like a big "duh" to most people, you would be shocked at how many people forget this step in their routine. Find a lotion that works for you. Personally, I try to avoid any kind of scented lotions (except my Soap & Glory Hand Food, but I just can't get enough of that stuff!), because I often find that it just irritates my skin and leaves it more dry than before. Bath & Body Works lotions especially tend to do this, unfortunately. Do your best to avoid mineral oil as well, as it creates a barrier between your skin and the outside world. You want to protect your skin, not suffocate it! Coconut oil is also a great natural moisturizer. 
4. Take a bath.
One of my favorite ways to help moisturize my skin is by relaxing in a nice warm bath. However, not just any kind of bath! I love to mix extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar into my baths. They are incredibly cheap options and leave your skin feeling silky. If you really want a luxurious, moisturizing bath, look for a buttery bath melt or bath bomb. My absolute favorite is Lush's Butterball, but you can find products like this just about any place that sells bath supplies.
3. Exfoliate.
You are covered in dead skin cells. Sounds gross, right? But that's just how your skin works. The average person has about 15-20 layers of dead skin cells on their body. So you can moisturize all you want, but how much of that product is actually effectively moisturizing your skin? Exfoliation can help encourage cell turnover, which will help reveal beautiful, glowing skin. Don't over-exfoliate though. You don't want to rub yourself raw! 
2. Eat raw fruits and vegetables. 
A balanced diet is key for beautiful skin. In the winter time, raw fruits and vegetables tend to go unnoticed, since they are often a summer time treat. Keep them in your diet year-round. Raw fruits and veggies are loaded in antioxidants and vitamins, which will help keep your skin healthy and bright. Raw fruits and veggies are also generally better for you than cooked fruits and veggies, because cooking often destroys most of the nutrients and enzymes in your food. 
1. Drink WATER!
I cannot stress this enough. Water is your best friend. Water not only hydrates you, but you are made of it! Two-thirds of your body is made up of water. Needless to say, it's pretty important. Caffeine in coffee, tea, energy drinks, and sodas will dehydrate your body. Switch out at least one sugary drink per day for water, and you'll see a difference!

Remember, beautiful skin starts from the inside. You can use thousands of dollars worth of products, and never see a real, long term difference. These tips are not only for use in the winter, but year-round. Keep in mind that your body is a temple, and you only get one of them, so treat it right and it will thank you!

- d.

p.s. If any of you follow me on Tumblr, you'll know that my best friend, Christine, is running for Miss San Diego! Being a part of the Miss America organization, Christine is supporting local children's hospitals, and is raising money for the Children's Miracle Network. On top of that, for every $10 she raises, she and her mom will make a scarf that will be donated to the homeless, which can help make the difference between life or death this winter. Let's help make miracles happen! Click here to donate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment