menu

Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Negaverse Rampage

Obviously, I've been very into the vampy makeup looks lately. While I was back home in San Diego, I FINALLY found Wet n Wild's Mega Last Lipstick in the shade "Vamp It Up," which is a pretty spot on dupe for MAC's "Cyber," and I am completely obsessed! For this look, I decided to give the new Real Techniques Bold Metals brushes a good test and use them exclusively for this look, to see what these brushes can do, and so I could give a solid review on them, which I posted not too long ago! I literally used these brushes and no others! The review is in two parts, and you can view Part 1 here, and Part 2 here. Not only will I be going over which products I used for each step, but I will also be discussing the brushes!

Also, a big shout out to my friends Chloe and Ashley for helping me come up with a name for this tutorial! I really liked both of their ideas and ended up doing a fusion of both. Chloe mentioned that it reminded her a lot of the Negaverse from Sailor Moon (throwback anyone?) and I love that she mentioned that because I never would have noticed that it's totally a look Queen Beryl would wear.



For today's look, I decided to do brows first and foremost, so, using the 202 Angled Liner brush, I filled in my brows with "Triple Fudge" (a dark, cool brown shade) from the Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette.  Then, to prime the lid and clean up under the brow a bit, I used my MAC Studio Finish Concealer, and used my fingers to apply this all over the lid and up to the brow. I used the 101 Triangle Foundation brush to help clean up underneath my brow.

For the eyes, I used the tape method to help ensure a crisp, clean line on the outer edges. To help everything blend well, I used "White Chocolate" (a light cream shade) from the Chocolate Bar Palette to set the concealer into place. Then, using the 200 Oval Shadow brush, I swept the color "Champagne Truffle" (a shimmery, pale pink champagne color) from the Chocolate Bar Palette all over my lids, stopping at the crease. I used the 201 Pointed Crease brush and a mix of the "Salted Caramel" (a warm, sandy camel) shade from the Chocolate Bar Palette and the "Nectar" (similar to "Salted Caramel," but slightly more peach) shade from the Lorac Pro 2 to start a soft sculpt in the crease. I also brought this color up onto the brow bone a bit, blending upward. Then, I took the same Pointed Crease brush, wiped it off on a paper towel, and began blending "Candied Violet" (glittery purple) from the Chocolate Bar Palette into the crease, going slightly above the crease and into the peachy mix I placed before. After I placed this color, I decided it wasn't quite purple enough for what I wanted, so I went back into the crease and used "Plum" (basic purple) from the Lorac Pro 2 on top of the "Candied Violet" shade. I continued building this color up until I was happy with the saturation of color. Then I went back in with the 200 Oval Shadow brush and added more of "Champagne Truffle" onto the lid, since the purple shades made it a little more muted than I desired. On the inner corner, I used "Snow" (pearlescent white) from the Lorac Pro 2, and as a brow highlight, I used "Beige," (pearlescent champagne) also from the Lorac Pro 2. On the outer two-thirds of the lower lash line, I used "Candied Violet," then on the inner third, I again used "Snow."


I took the Milani Liquid Eye Liner Pencil in "Black" and lined both my upper and lower waterlines. For my bright pop of a beautiful indigo liner, I used NYX's Studio Liquid Liner in "Extreme Purple." I'm not the biggest fan of this formula or the brush, but the color is beautiful so I'm willing to make it work. Instead of using the brush that the liner comes with, I applied the product to the back of my hand and used the 202 Angled Liner brush to create my winged liner. I then prepped my lashes with a coat of the Mally Volumizing Mascara and used the Andrea 53 Lashes. Because these lashes were kind of on their last legs, I used the Mally mascara to help blend my natural lashes and the falsies together, and then used the indigo liner to help hide the lash band. In retrospect, I probably should've used a black liquid liner to hide the lash band, but lesson learned!


For my face, I went for a perfected, sculpted look. I first used Benefit's The Porefessional to prime. Then, I used the 101 Triangle Foundation to apply my favorite CoverGirl Outlast 3-in-1 Foundation. Then, I used the Maybelline Fit Me Concealer on my under eye area, and again used the 101 Triangle Foundation brush to blend it out. I used the 100 Arched Powder brush to apply my translucent powder, then, using the 300 Tapered Blush brush, I applied the "Banana" powder from the Anastasia Contour Kit on my under eye area. This brush is perfect for this step! I used this same brush to apply the "Sand" highlight shade to the tops of my cheekbones, which helped create a really glowy effect. Next, I used the 301 Flat Contour brush and the shade "Fawn" to sculpt and contour my cheekbones. This brush is seriously the most perfect contour brush, and I don't think I can go back to using anything else! Finally, with the 100 Arched Powder, I applied the Maybelline Fit Me Blush in "Light Rose" for a subtle flush.


Now for the star of the show -- the lips! I used Wet n Wild's Mega Last Lipstick in the shade "Vamp It Up," and applied it straight from the tube and onto my lips, Because this product is a little bit hard to apply due to its matte finish, I used the 202 Angled Liner brush (after wiping it off, of course) to help smooth it out a bit. Then, using the Angled Liner brush again to apply a small amount of this gorgeous Lip Paint from Face of Australia, which sadly seems to be discontinued! However, you can achieve a similar look by just applying a clear gloss on top of the "Vamp It Up" lipstick.


I really enjoyed doing this look for you guys! I really ought to go in with no expectations and to just play more often -- I tend to get my favorite results that way. If nothing else, I hope this look inspires you to step out of your comfort zone and wear a bold lip color or strong cat eye!

- D. 

1 comment: