menu

Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Daily Skin Care Routine + DIY Eye Makeup Remover

Finally! I've been talking about doing this for a while, and now I'm finally getting around to doing a skin care routine post, as well as a super easy DIY eye makeup remover! Fair warning: this may be a bit of a long, rambly post, because my morning and nighttime routines are mostly the same, so I decided to discuss them both at once! Let me start out by telling you a little bit about my skin:
I have sensitive, dry-combination skin -- my forehead and cheeks get very dry, my nose is balanced and normal, and my chin is very oily. My eyelids are oily in some areas, with dry patches in others. On top of that, I have patches of plaque psoriasis around my nose and around my hairline. I have never really had trouble with acne, although I do tend to get mild cystic acne on my chin around my time of the month.
The key to my skin care routine is to find the perfect balance for my entire face, without irritating it. Like I said, I have sensitive skin, so I do my best to avoid fragrant products, or anything with harsh chemicals.



Every night, if I've been wearing makeup, I make sure to remove as much of it as I possibly can. I start out with eye makeup. At this end of this post, I will have details on my incredibly easy and fast DIY eye makeup remover! But first thing's first, using a cotton pad, I hold the eye makeup remover to my eyes for about 10 seconds and wipe away my eye makeup. I also run it along my lower lash line with a cotton swab to ensure that I got all my makeup off.

Next, I go in with a cleansing water. I used to use the Sephora Triple Action Cleansing Water, but the smell turned me off. In the US, cleansing waters are hard to find, so the Sephora brand cleansing water is a great option if you don't have a credit card or are just trying out cleansing waters for the first time. However, I've recently started using the Garnier Cleansing Micellar Water, which is half the price for the same size. The only downside of this product is that I have yet to see it in the US. I'm not sure where this product can be found elsewhere in the world, but I ordered it through FeelUnique! I use the cleansing water to remove any of the excess olive oil and get any leftover makeup on my eyes, and then use it to remove my face makeup. If I'm being extra lazy, I will stop here.

After my cleansing water, I use a gentle cleanser. Like I said before, finding that balance with my skin is key, and Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash does exactly that. I sometimes use this product both day and night, although some people recommend only cleansing once a day. I find that this face wash is gentle enough, though, to be used twice a day without drying out your skin. If I decide I want to exfoliate, I prefer manually exfoliating with a wash cloth. I have yet to find a really great scrub for my face, as most of them just leave me red and irritated. So instead, I usually just take a warm, damp wash cloth and, using circular massaging motions, remove all the cleanser from my face!


After cleansing, I use a homemade toner and spot treatment, both made from tea tree oil. For a toner, I take a small travel spray bottle and fill it with purified water, then add a few drops of tea tree oil. Then I shake it up and spritz it all over my face. This is also great as an antibacterial refreshing spray! For a spot treatment, I take a cotton swab and just a tiny bit of tea tree oil and dab it on any spots I notice. Due to its antibacterial properties, the tea tree oil helps to reduce and cut the life of my breakouts! I usually only use pure tea tree oil at night, as it can smell quite strongly and some people are put off by the scent.


After spot treating, I use an eye cream. For a while, I was loving the Origins Eye Doctor Eye Cream, but every time I went to purchase a new jar, my credit card would sing a sad song. So recently, I discovered the Boots Botanics Organic Hydrating Eye Cream, which is half the price! My sensitive eye area is so happy, and so is my bank account. My biggest problem when it comes to eye creams is that most of them are too rich for my skin and cause small milia to appear. I haven't had this problem with either the Origins or the Boots Botanics eye creams, and they are both light enough to be used day and night.

From here, I move onto moisturizing. For the day time, I use the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Moisturizer, which hydrates my skin without being heavy and thick. Because it isn't heavy, it doesn't feel greasy on my oilier areas, but it is still hydrating enough for my drier areas. I also mix this moisturizer with the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunscreen. I discovered this sunscreen in high school and fell in love because of its texture. It never feels greasy, and can be applied over makeup without ruining it!

At night, I skip a traditional moisturizer altogether, and reach for the Josie Maran Argan Oil Light. I put two to three drops into clean hands, spread it in my hands, and gently pat the oil onto my face. I find that this oil really hydrates my skin overnight, but never leaves me feeling greasy. It may be a bit pricey, at $48 for the full size, but they sell it in a travel size for $16, and it lasts forever! I also use this argan oil one or twice a week to massage my face, to really get the blood flowing and to invigorate my skin. To finish off my daily routine, I always top off my lips with my Jack Black Intense Lip Therapy Lip Balm.


Once or twice a week, I will use a face mask to refresh and really deep clean my skin. As I've raved about a thousand times, I absolutely love the Origins Clear Improvements Active Charcoal Mask. Not only does it do a great job of really pulling out any sebum and dirt from my pores, but it has actually made my psoriasis better. Since using this mask, I've noticed the psoriasis around my nose slowly going away! I actually have an entire rave about this mask here. Another mask that I love to use, especially when I have active breakouts, is the Lush Cosmetic Warrior Fresh Face Mask. This mask is a godsend. I discovered it a few years ago when I was on the hunt for the Cupcake Mask, but the Lush in my area was all sold out! The young woman recommended the Cosmetic Warrior mask instead, and I don't regret it one bit! I probably have 7 or 8 jars of this face mask alone that I need to trade in.

Now let's talk about my super easy DIY eye makeup remover. 

Things You'll Need:
  • Any empty travel bottle
  • Purified water
  • Extra virgin olive oil

To create my eye makeup remover, I use a small travel bottle and fill it about 4/5 of the way with purified water. Then, fill the last 1/5 with extra virgin olive oil. You hardly need any of the olive oil, and too much of it can cling to your skin and get into your eyes. Of course, it will separate, so shake well before using. I find that this solution can gently remove even the most stubborn waterproof mascara, and the olive oil will condition your lashes and prevent breakage! 

And that's it for my skin care routine! I know it seems like a lot, but once you get into the habit, it really seems like nothing at all. It only takes a couple of minutes for the entire routine, and I find that my skin is happiest when I'm actively making time to take care of it. Keep in mind that this is the routine that works for me. Your skin is different and always changing!

- d.

2 comments:

  1. OMG your skin care routine is SO detailed! I'm so bad about it... I need to be better. I love that Origins Charcoal mask and I've recently started using LUSH products and so far I love them! I've never heard of the cleansing water but I definitely want to try it if I can find it. Great post!

    <3, Pamela
    sequinsandseabreezes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since your face is sensitive try using an exfoliating peeling gel. It takes all the dead skin cells off without the damage of using a face scrub with granules that can scratch and leave the skin irritated. :)

    ReplyDelete