menu

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Katniss' Presidential Party Makeup

Happy holidays, everyone! Or should I say, happy Hunger Games!

As I said in a previous post, I have been fully obsessed with The Hunger Games series recently, and I've just started reading Mockingjay! I know, I'm super late joining on this, but I'm so excited to find out what happens next.

After watching "Catching Fire," I was so inspired by Katniss and Johanna's makeup looks. I even dyed my hair in a similar style to Johanna's because I am just SO obsessed! The makeup artists did a fantastic job with both Jennifer Lawrence and Jena Malone, and their costumes were absolutely to die for. When I watched "Catching Fire," I decided I had to do a mini-series based on their looks. I thought I would begin with the look Katniss wears at the end of the Victory Tour, at President Snow's party.



Part of the reason I decided to start off with this look is because it's party makeup! It's the holiday season, and I can't believe Christmas is tomorrow. This look could totally be adjusted for any kind of New Year's party. Imagine this look using like smoldering grays and silver glitter! It's dramatic, but don't be afraid to work it. 


First, I started off with my Ben Nye FX Bruise Cream Stack, using the brick red color as a base. I applied this in a thin layer all over my lid, but staying under the crease. Then I took a synthetic blending brush and blended out the edges of the product. I paid close attention to the outer corners, where I blended up and out to create a winged shape. 

Then, using my trusty Coastal Scents 252 Ultimate Palette, I picked up a matte red color on a flat shader brush and packed this color over the lid. Then I used the same synthetic blending brush from before and blended out the edges. To add a bit of dimension, I grabbed a darker red and mixed it with a warm purple shade, and took it through the crease.

Then I took a stiff shader brush and the NYX Glitter on the Go in the color Ruby and patted this carefully all over the lid. Unfortunately, this product has been discontinued, but you can use any red cosmetic glitter you can find. They are easily found just about anywhere, and a lot of brands have absolutely beautiful glitters. Make sure you are using cosmetic glitter though! Craft glitter can be dangerous for use around the eyes, as it can be thicker and sharper. When I applied this glitter, I used a tissue under the eye to help prevent the fall out from getting all over my face. When using glitter, you will get fall out, even if you are using a sticky base. The glitter I am using is a red-based glitter with beautiful golden orange flecks. 

Next, I took my Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in "Blackest Black" and created a very fine but very dramatic winged liner on my upper and lower lashline. I used a small precision artist's brush, so I could create a very thin line. I did the top liner first, then used that as my guide to creating the lower wing. I then took a cotton bud and cleaned up any mistakes. 

Using a clean synthetic angled brush and Ben Nye's Cream Color in "White," I very carefully began to fill in the space between the two wings. I also used this product in my lower water line, as well as under my brow to highlight. To set it, I wiped off my angled brush and used my translucent setting powder. Then, I used a shimmery white shadow and brought it through my inner corner to brighten up the whole look.


Katniss' face is absolutely glowing in this makeup. Jennifer Lawrence's makeup artists did an amazing job of making her skin look glowing and flawless. To achieve a similar effect, started with a moisturized face. I first applied my Too Faced Primed and Poreless Face Primer to really smooth everything out. Then, using my L'Oreal True Match Foundation in the shade C2 and the Real Techniques Expert Face Brush, I applied my foundation in a buffing motion, to get the fullest coverage from this foundation. Then, I used my Rimmel Wake Me Up Concealer under my eyes, and my Urban Decay 24/7 Concealer Pencil to hide any blemishes or redness that the foundation didn't cover. Remember, the makeup artists would have been trying to make Katniss look absolutely flawless for her party in the Capitol! 

After I finished concealing, I used my mini Benefit Watt's Up Highlighter under my eyes and on the tops of my cheekbones, as well as on the high points of my face, such as the the center of my forehead, the bridge of my nose, my chin, and my cupid's bow. I used my finger to blend this product out, then took a stippling brush and applied a very light layer of my Revlon Photo Ready Translucent Finisher

I then took a small domed face brush and Inglot 358 Matte and contoured my cheeks. I also ran this product through my brows. It doesn't look like Jennifer Lawrence has much in her brows during this scene, but she always has much better brows than I do, so I decided to give my brows just a little extra definition. 

Her cheeks have a very soft pink glow to them, so I used blush side of the e.l.f. Studio Contouring Blush & Bronzing Powder in the color "St. Lucia" and applied this color to the apples of my cheeks, and blending it out. Then, I spritzed some of my Mac Fix+ to get rid of any powdery finish and to add an extra glow. 

Her lips are pretty nude, so all I did was apply some lip balm, and dabbed a tiny bit of a white shimmery shadow on the center of my lips.

Finally, the lashes! The lashes I used are not of any particular brand. I actually got them for super cheap on eBay! EBay is a great place to purchase lashes, because you can buy huge sets of them for less than $5. The lashes I used were super thick and dramatic, which I thought was perfect to complete this look.


Thanks for reading! I wanted to wish all of you a happy holiday, and I really hope that it is lovely for each and every one of you. Thank you so much for supporting me in these last couple months, and I hope you all have a wonderful new year! 

- d. 

ps. stay tuned for the next look -- Johanna in the elevator! 

No comments:

Post a Comment